Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The List - a special Earth Day edition

Over a week ago, I ordered a set of bread pans from King Arthur Flour. Like so many online retailers, they wanted my e-mail address in order to do business with them. I specifically unchecked the little box that said "I want to receive special announcements and specials".

The e-mail confirming my order was accompanied by a second e-mail: spam. I sent an e-mail to their customer service, requesting that they remove me from the list. The next day, more spam from King Arthur. This is actual spam, by the way, not merely order confirmation, or shipping information. This is completely unrelated "come buy more stuff" e-mails, which I explicitly (by un-checking a checkbox that is checked by default) told them I did not want.

The $8 shipping also said it would take five days. Today, day nine, the pans arrived. In a big box.

Happy Earth Day!

Today just so happens to be Earth Day. I might have actually forgotten, but Kitty went to Valley Natural Foods this morning, and was nearly trampled by an unruly mob waiting for free Earth Day totes (interestingly, the "tramplers" didn't stay to shop in our nice little co-op).

Then this afternoon, I get a big box from a certain retailer.

As you can see, it took not only a huge box, but an awful lot of paper to make sure that my metal bread pans arrived safe and sound. Especially appropriate for Earth Day!

That's it. KAF, you just made The List!!!

... and I need to pound the pavement, and find a local bakery supply store!

No comments: