Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On Podcasts (Thing #9)

Podcasts are an interesting extension to RSS ... another example of how open formats can evolve to fit the needs of a changing community (like a community that suddenly is inundated by iPods).

As a geek, it's interesting to note the different methods of "adding" a podcast - iTunes and MY! users both register their selections through service providers. Zune makes it less obvious what is being done, as it apparently registers it's own protocol (zune://).

But in all the methods above, ultimately you're relying on RSS (a type of XML) for the delivery of the playlist.

I did find a podcast of a radio program I like, and frequently recommend - "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!", a game show based on current events, featuring a panel of three comedians. Mo Rocca, Roy Blount Jr., Paula Poundstone are a few of my personal favorite regular guests. The show is on locally on KNOW at 2 pm on Sundays, a time that almost guarantees I'll miss it if I'm not driving ... now I have another option!

No comments: