Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dotting the "i"s, part one (Things #5 and #6)

Earlier this year, my employer gave the staff an assignment to discover "Web 2.0". Each week, a number of "Web 2.0 Things" were given for us to try out. While I did try out many of the things, there are a few I guess I've left behind.

Thing #5 and #6 both focused on using a specific photo sharing web site, owned by a search engine company that I refuse to give any support or business to, due to their poorly chosen name. I don't mention that name primarily because I don't want to give them any advertising.

The specific reason I avoid this company is in it's name. I was raised where saying "gosh" and "jeeze" was considered offensive, and while I generally do not take offense at words uttered in my presence (I fall victim to "sailor tongue" myself), it doesn't mean I have to approve of a business that uses an old blasphemy in it's name.

The fact that it's a common blasphemy, and one most people don't recognize only makes it more insidious to me.

I'm a goofball, I know. But I have the right to chose where I give my business.

No comments: